Our regular, stand alone front door washing machine was not originally designed to be built in the furniture. But we managed to get everything sorted, and now basically it’s built in!
First thing first, it took a lot of planning. We choose especially the Ikea kitchen furnitures, because I found their online kitchen planner. This allowed me to make various designs and implementations and see where I can place the appliances based on what we have already in fixed position.
We could move the water inlet a bit around, we didn’t had any very fixed position for the cooker either because we have a gas bottle, and the pipe for the dirt water was also possible to move it just a tad bit. And of course our kitchen was in a total mess, totally “destroyed” when we started the whole new kitchen planning.
Once we found the place for the washing machine, and we made sure the pipes are all right, we only needed to wait half a year until we could start getting the furniture in.
Because of the washing machine, the counter top above the area with the washing machine has to be wider then the standard 63.5. So we bought a wider one, and placed the modules a little bit further from the wall, making sure they are well secured to the wall with some extensions, screws and wooden bits.
I have no idea how the hell I managed to make the measurements, BUT, much to my surprise, when it came to insert the waching machine in the module, I realized that…
… it won’t FIT! Because a module is exactly 60cm wide. And from this there is 2x-1.8cm on both sizes, represented by the module wall. The hole within the module is actually narrower, and won’t house a standard sized washing machine. Because obviously normal people don’t want to hide the washing machine like I do, or they are smart enough to buy one that can be integrated.
So what to do? Soon I realized that having a jigsaw has major advantages. I suggested my husband to jut a narrow strip that will be able to HODOR (hold the door), install the hinge and everybody will be happy, especially me having the washing machine hidden.
If you look at image 1, there you can see the frame representing the smallest depth we could come up with. It’s only 10 cm, and it’s basically screwed on the other modules from let and right.
But oce we made the frame, we realized something very important. With the frame, “as is” we won’t be able to open the little drawer and put the detergent in. Oh my.
The final solution is visible on the image no. 7. We cut out the area where the drawer was opening and was SOOOO Happy about this solution. Not for a very long time.
The new set of issues appeared when we took home the doors. It turns out… you cannot have a normal hinge, and open the dishwasher drawer. Luckily there are the 153 degree hinges, so those saved the day.
Not before having a smaller heart attack when seeing them for the first time in the store.
These hinges are almost double in the size compared to the other ones we have!!! I was about sure they won’t fit in the available space. But as you can see from the above images, the fit is to the mm, basically half a cm on one direction and the whole plan would have been in vain!
Of course, this is because… when we choose the door, I decided to buy the 30×80 doors, and instead of having a 60×80 door for the modules, we have 2 narrow doors for each. Obviously the big door would have had only hinges on the other side, so this issue would not have been an issue.
But the size of the door were very important, due to the size of our kitchen!